Lifelong Faith Journals
Fall 2015 & Winter 2016 Special Issues on Adult Faith Formation
At the 2015 Adult Faith Formation Symposium participants were guided through a scenario planning process to create four scenarios for the future of adult faith formation in congregations and to design strategies for using the scenarios to design new initiatives and projects in adult faith formation. The Winter 2016 Journal issue - A Guide to Envisioning the Future of Adult Faith Formation - includes the summary report and adds documentation from the Symposium and additional strategy resources, including tools for facilitating an Adult Faith Formation Scenario Process in your faith community or denomination.
The Fall 2015 issue of the Lifelong Faith Journal extends the content in The Seasons of Adult Faith Formation book by providing four practice-centered articles for each season of adulthood. Each of the authors wrote a chapter in the book exploring a contemporary understanding of young adults, midlife adults, mature adults, and older adults. In these new articles they explore effective practices for each stage of adulthood.
Volume 8.3 - Models & Practices in Lifelong Faith Formation
The Spring-Summer Issue of the Lifelong Faith journal presents articles that span the whole life cycle focusing on models and practices in lifelong faith formation. Our authors have written interesting and practical articles to help you in your ministry. We are happy to include an article by Craig Mitchell from the Uniting Church in Australia! Download the Spring-Summer Journal for free and enjoy the variety of articles we have for you.
Volume 8.2 - Trends & Developments in Faith Formation for All Ages
The Winter Issue of the Lifelong Faith journal presents articles that span the whole lifespan in our issue on “Trends and Developments in Faith Formation." Our authors have put written interesting and practical articles to help you in your ministry. We are happy to include an article by Craig Mitchell from the Uniting Church in Australia! Download the Winter Journal for free and enjoy the variety of articles we have for you.
Volume 8.1 - Faith Formation Practices & Approaches for All Ages
The Fall 2014 issue of the Lifelong Faith journal presents a variety of articles on “Faith Formation Practices & Approaches for All Ages & Generations." Included in this issue are the following articles.
Volume 7.4 - Trends & Developments in Faith Formation
The Winter 2013 issue of the Lifelong Faith journal presents a variety of perspectives on the theme of “Trends and Developments in Faith Formation." Included in this issue are the following articles.
- What is Faith Formation in a Missional Age? - Terri Elton
- Cultivating a Community of Practice - Joyce Ann Mercer
- Emerging Media and the Gospel - Tom Tomaszek
- Why Church Leaders Must Be Tech Visionaries - Chris Yaw
- Expanding the Reach of Faith Formation with Hybrid Networks - Kyle Matthew Oliver
- Jesus’s Prophetic Reach: Drawing Children to the Center of Congregational Life - Tim Coltvet
- Faith Formation in the Small Congregation - Susan Strouse
- Less Talk, More Action - Mark Yaconelli
- Why Children Need Ignatian Spirituality - Tim and Sue Muldoon
- Faith Without Words: On Infant Faith Formation - Jeanne Choy Tate
- Doing Children’s Ministry Differently - David Csinos and Ivy Beckwith
Volume 7.3 - Generations Together
The Fall 2013 issue of the Lifelong Faith is on the theme of “Generations Together." This issue presents original research by Kathie Amidei and Jim Merhaut on the impact and effectiveness of intergenerational faith formation in congregations. It also presents an article guiding your congregation toward a intergenerational per spective in all ministries and faith formation, and another on models of intergenerationality in congregations.
- From Generation to Generation: A Case Study on Factors in the Family and Faith Community Impacting Faith Development - Kathie Amidei
- Intergenerational Faith Formation Today: It’s Impact and Sustainability - Jim Merhaut
- Planning for Intergenerality: Moving Beyond the Program - Jim Merhaut
- Emerging Models for Intergenerational Ministries - Jim Merhaut
Volume 7.2 - A Lifelong Faith Formation Network Version 2.0
The Summer 2013 issue is on the theme of “A Lifelong Faith Formation Network for the 21st Century (Version 2.0).” In Volume 5.2 (Summer 2011) I first developed the concepts for a 21st century vision of connected, networked faith formation. This issue is organized into three sections: Part 1 presents the vision and themes of 21st century faith formation. Part 2 presents a guide to designing a faith formation network. Part 3 presents fourteen digital tools that have tremendous potential for 21st century faith formation. To continue your learning I have created a website that provides articles, videos, and website links on each of the major components of 21st century faith formation. It is constantly being update with new resources. Go to www.21stCenturyFaithFormation.com.
Download Volume 7.2
Download Volume 7.2
Volume 7.1 - Innovations in Faith Formation 2013
The Spring 2013 issue of Lifelong Faith presents innovative projects in faith formation across the life span. The articles are written by the people who created the innovation and provide links to a variety of resources to help you use the ideas in your congregation.
- All Ages: Innovation on the Hillside: The Ministry of the FiveLoaves.com - Tom Tomaszek
- All Ages: The Generosity Project - Linda Staats
- All Ages: The Center for Spiritual Resources - Robbin Whittington
- Adults: Good News People - Katherine Feely, SND
- Children & Youth: Can a Congregation Imagine ‘Something New’? - Karen Gieseke
- Family: Renaming and Reclaiming a Faith Practice -Debbie Streicher
- Leaders: A Coaching Approach to Spiritual Vitality - Jim LaDoux
- Young Adult: Taking a Coalition Approach to Young Adult Ministry - Kate Hine, SND & Margaret Vogel
- Youth: A “Community of Communities” Approach to Youth Ministry - Ken Johnson-Mondragon with Ed Lozano
Volume 6.4 - Faith Formation & People with Special Needs
The Winter 2012 issue of Lifelong Faith on the theme of “Faith Formation & People with Special Needs” presents theological and theoretical reflections on faith formation with people with special needs, as well as practical suggestions for ministry and learning.
- Educating Toward Full Inclusion in the Body of Christ: People with Disabilities Being Full Members of the Church - Brett Webb-Mitchell
- A Vision of a Post-Disability Ministry Church - Brett Webb-Mitchell
- Welcoming All: Intergenerational Faith Formation for People with Disabilities - Sharon Urbaniak
- There Are No Barriers To God's Love - Mark I. Pinsky
- Affirming Presence: Spiritual Life and Friendship with Adolescents with Developmental Disabilities - Benjamin T. Conner
- Faith Formation Resources
Volume 6.3 - Faith Formation with Adults
This Fall 2012 issue explores adult faith and spirituality, and presents effective practices for faith formation with adults. As always resources are included in each article and a resource review at the end of this issue.
Download Volume 6.3
- Spiritual Transformation: The Heart of Adult Faith Formation - Tom Zanzig
- Adults Spiritual Formation: Nurturing Adults in Christ and for Others - Jim Merhaut
- A View from the Community: What Are We Learning about Adult Faith Formation - Janet Schaeffler OP
- The Challenges and Opportunities for Faith Formation with Maturing Adults - Janet Schaeffler OP
- Congregational Vitality and Older Adult Ministries - Richard H. Gentzler Jr.
Download Volume 6.3
Volume 6.2 - Faith Formation in the First Third of Life
The Summer 2012 issue of Lifelong Faith on the theme of “Faith Formation in the First Third of Life” explores the newest thinking and practices in faith formation with children, adolescents, and emerging adults (20s).
- Nurturing the Spiritual Formation of Children - Karen Marie Yust, Brian D. McLaren, Daniel Jennings, & David Csinos
- Ministry with Today’s Children and Parents - Dale Hudson
- The Future of Children’s Ministry - Dale Hudson
- Goldilocks in Our Midst: Ministry with Young Adolescents - Mary Lee Becker
- Engaging a New Generation - Frank Mercadante
- What’s Old is New (Or Three Things I Learned Studying the Next Generation) - David Kinnaman
- How to Reach Young Adults - Anthony B. Robinson
- Greenhouses of Hope - Dori Grinenko Baker
Volume 6.1 - The Ecologies of Lifelong Faith Formation
The Spring 2012 issue explores important research findings describing the significant influence of three ecologies on nurturing Christian faith in all ages: the congregation, intergenerational community, and the family or household.
- Congregations as Complex Ecologies for Spiritual Development - Eugene C. Roehlkepartain and Eboo Patel
- The Importance of Congregational Culture - John Roberto
- The Church Sticking Together - Kara Powell, Brad Griffin, and Cheryl Crawford
- The Importance of Intergenerational Community - John Roberto
- Sacred Matters—Religion & Spirituality in Families: Main Ideas in Sacred Theory - Wesley R. Burr, Loren D. Marks, and Randal D. Day
- An Overview of The American Family Assets Study - Search Institute
- The Importance of Family Faith Formation - John Roberto
Volume 5.4 - Discipleship & Faith Formation
Volume 5.4 presents six contemporary understandings of Christian discipleship with important implications for faith formation with all ages and generations.
- "The Great Reversal" by Diana Butler Bass
- "The Full Disciple: Is Your Church Producing People Who Embody Kingdom Holiness?" by Scot McKnight
- "Monasteries of the Heart" by Joan Chittister
- "Practicing the Way of Jesus: An Invitation to Experiment" by Mark Scandrette
- "The Invitation-Shaped Life" by Adele Ahlberg Calhoun
- "Kingdom Calling: Vocational Stewardship for the Common Good" by Amy L. Sherman
Volume 5.3 - Parents & Faith Formation
Parents are the most important factor in the healthy development and faith formation of their children and adolescents. Volume 5.3 provides insights and wisdom for working with parents and developing programs, strategies, and resources for supporting and equipping parents.
- What Makes a Good Parent? - A Scientific Analysis Ranks the 10 Most Effective Child-Rearing Practices - Robert Epstein
- How Igniting Our Children’s Sparks Can Support and Save Our Children and Their Future - Peter L. Benson
- And a Little Child Shall Lead Them: The Advent and Event of Parenting as Spiritual Journey - Dawn M. Alit
- Nurturing the Faith of Parents - Catherine Stonehouse and Scottie May
- Parents and “Sticky Faith”—Building a Lasting Faith in Young People - Kara E. Powell, Brad M Griffin, Cheryl A. Crawford, and Chap Clark
- The Parenting Environment - Barna Research & Orange
- How to Pass Your Faith to Your Kids - Jim Burns
Volume 5.2 - A Lifelong Faith Formation Network
This issue of Journal is an attempt to present one vision of a 21st century approach to lifelong faith formation. It is now possible for a congregation to provide faith formation for everyone, anytime, anywhere, 24x7x365. It is now possible to customize and personalize faith formation around the lives of the people in a congregation and offer a wide diversity of programs, activities, and resources in a variety of formats delivered in physical gathered settings and virtual online settings. We are experiencing a convergence of new web and digital technologies that are transforming life and learning and the tremendous growth of religious content and experiences in digital form. A Lifelong Faith Formation Network provides one way to integrate this convergence for the good of the whole congregation.
Download Volume 5.2
Download Volume 5.2
Volume 5.1 - Leadership for 21st Century Faith Formation
- "Practicing The Ten Truths about Leadership" by James M Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner
- "Becoming a Spirit-Led Leader" by Timothy C. Geoffrion
- "Becoming a Faith Formation Curator" by John Roberto
- "Becoming an Adaptive and Innovative Leader" based on the work of Ronald Heifetz and Marty Linsky
- "Becoming a Change Leader" by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
- "Becoming a Culturally Intelligent Leader" by Linn Van Dyne, Soon Ang, and David Livermore
Download Volume 5.1
Volume 4.4 - Faith Formation with Baby Boomers
- "A Reflection
on Ageism" by Joan Chittister, O.S.B.
- "How Well Do You Know the Baby Boom Generation? - A Survey of Research & Analysis"
- "A Reflection on Learning in the Third Chapter of Life" by Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot
- "A Reflection on Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life" by Richard Rohr, OFM
- "Developing Faith Formation for the Baby Boom Generation" by John Roberto (with contributions from Gary McIntosh and Amy Hanson)
Download Volume 4.4
Volume 4.3 - Faith Formation with Children
- "Saturated Spirituality: Creating Environments that Nurture All Children" by David M. Csinos
- Book Excerpt: "Listening to Children in Changing Times" by Catherine Stonehouse & Scottie May
- Faith Development and Faith Formation: More Than Just Ages and Stages by Robert J. Keeley
- "Influencing Children’s Faith Now" - Reflections from What Matters Now in Children’s Ministry by Matt Guevara, Amy Dolan, Henry Zonio, and Friends
- "Family Daily Living Faith Practices" by Christy Olson
- "Teaching & Learning with the iGeneration: Perspectives, Strategies, and Ideas" by John Roberto
Download Volume 4.3
Volume 4.2 - Emerging Adulthood & Faith Formation
- "Faith and Spirituality among Emerging Adults" by Penny Edgell
- "Religion & the Millennial Generation: Insights from the Latest Research" from the Pew Research Center & Marist College Institute for Public Opinion
- "Religious Trajectories from the Teenage Years into the Emerging Adult Years" by Christian Smith with Patricia Snell and Kyle Longest
- "Young Adults in a Changing Church" by Shannyn Magee
- "Emerging Adult Participation in Congregations" by Conrad Hackett
- "Faith Formation with Emerging Adults: Congregational Practices"
Download Volume 4.2
Volume 4.1 - Faith Formation and the New Digital Media
- " Where Two or More Are Gathered . . . on Facebook" by Cathleen Falsani
- "A is for App – How Smartphones and Handheld Computers Sparked an Educational Revolution" by Anya Kamentetz
- "WE-ALL-LEARN – The World is Open: How Web Technology is Revolutionizing Education" by Curtis J. Bonk
- A Resource Guide for WE-ALL-LEARN
- "World without Walls: How to Teach When Learning is Everywhere" by Will Richardson
- "Nurturing Faith Online" by Lynn Baab
- "Moving Online: Faith Formation in a Digital Age" by Julie Anne Lytle
- "By the Numbers…Internet and Digital Media Use" by Pew Internet & American Life Project
Download Volume 4.1
Volume 3.4 - Youth Ministry & Adolescent Faith Formation
- "The Way of Jesus: Adolescent Development as Christological Process" by Nancy Going
- "Four Paradigms of Youth Ministry in the Urban Context" by Fernando Arzola Jr.
- "Every Church Can Build a Sustainable Youth Ministry" by Mark DeVries
- "Special Report: The Spirit and Culture of Youth Ministry" by Roland Martinson and Wesley Black
Download Volume 3.4
Volume 3.3 - Adult Faith Formation
- "Special Research Report: Ecumenical Study of Lifelong Faith Formatio"n by Joan Weber
- "Reading the Future of Adult Learning: Seven Hopeful Predictions" by Richard J. Rothwell
- "Drink for the Thirsty: Planning for Adult Faith Formation" by Pam Coster
- "Faith Formation for Every Adult in Your Church—It’s Possible Today!" by John Roberto
- Four Principles of an Adult Faith Formation Learning Resources System
- Designing an Adult Faith Formation Learning Resources System
Download Volume 3.3
Volume 3.2 - Envisioning the Future of Faith Formation (1.0)
Volume 3.2 of Lifelong Faith presented the first version of “Faith Formation 2020: Envisioning the Future.” Faith Formation 2020 addresses the question “What will Christian faith formation in churches look like in 2020?” This issue presents the first draft of a working paper to help churches understand the driving forces affecting the future of faith formation 2010-2020 and to envision the future of faith formation through four scenarios that describe what faith formation in 2020 could be like. The book, Faith Formation 2020, was developed from this working paper.
Download Volume 3.2
Download Volume 3.2
Volume 3.1 - Generations Learning Together
- "Bringing the Generations Together: Support from Learning Theory" by Holly Catterton Allen
- "Fostering Intergenerational Relationships" by Carol Howard Merritt
- "Developing Reverse Mentoring Relationships" by Earl Creps
- "Becoming Intentionally Intergenerational: Models and Strategies" by John Roberto
- "Church Profiles: Intergenerational Faith Formation"
Download Volume 3.1
Volume 2.4 - Innovations in Faith Formation
- Innovations with Children
- Innovations with Youth
- Innovations with Technology
- Innovations with Young Adults
- Innovations with Parents
- Innovations with the Whole Church
Download Volume 2.4
Volume 2.3 - Teaching in the Faith Community
- "The Art of Jesus the Teacher" by John Shea
- "A Decidedly Different Mind" by Stephanie Pace Marshall
- "Attentive Teaching in Diverse Communities and Lifelong Faith Formation" by Kathleen T. Talvacchia and Su Yon Pak
- "Adult Faith Formation: A Catholic Vision" by Edmund Gordon
- "Living Faith in a Media World" by Mary Hess
Download Volume 3.3
Volume 2.2 - Faith Formation in Christian Practices
- "A Theological Understanding of Christian Practices" by Craig Dykstra and Dorothy Bass
- "The Joy of Practice in Families" by J. Bradley Wigger
- "Faith Formation in Christian Practices with Youth and Young Adults" by Don Richter
- "Strategies for Faith Formation in Christian Practices" by John Roberto
- "Eating Well" Chapter from Living Well: Christian Practices for Everyday Life
Download Volume 2.2
Volume 2.1 - Approaches to Lifelong Faith Formation
- "Worship as a Model for Faith Formation" by Ann E. Streaty Wimberly
- "Passing on Faith-Milestone to Milestone" by Linda Staats
- "Total Community Catechesis for Lifelong Faith Formation" by Thomas Groome
- "Lifelong Faith Formation for All Generations" by John Roberto
- "The Emerging Vision of Lifelong Formation in the Catholic Church" by Bill Huebsch
Download Volume 2.1
Volume 1.3/4 - Best Practices in Faith Formation
- "Best Practices in Intergenerational Faith Formation"
- "Best Practices in Family Faith Formation"
- "Best Practices in Children's Faith Formation"
- "Best Practices in Adolescent Faith Formation"
- "Best Practices in Young Adult Faith Formation"
- "Best Practices in Adult Faith Formation"
- "Best Practices in Parent Faith Formation"
Download Volume 1.3/4
Volume 1.2 - Family Faith Formation
- The Rule of Family Faith: Practicing the Presence of God in Our Outward Lives" by Dr. Bonnie J. Miller McLemore
- "Faith Formation with Families in Today's Church" by Leif Kehrwald
- "Faith Formation with Hispanic/Latino Families" by Ida Miranda
- "Making Parents a Priority" by Jolene and Eugene Roekhlkepartain
- "Transforming Faith Formation One Family at a Time" by Jim Merhaut
- "The Human Body in Family Spirituality" by Cynthia Dobryznski
Download Volume 1.2
Volume 1.1 - Faith Formation through the Life Span
- Becoming a Child, Becoming a Christian: Faith Formation of Children" by Dr. Karen Marie Yust
- "Forming Young Disciples: Opportunities for the Faith Formation of Adolescents" by Tom East
- "The Faith Formation of Young Adults: Challenges and Opportunities" by Joan Weber
- "Adult Faith Formation at the Crossroads" by Cathy Minkiewicz
- "Shaping a New Vision of Faith Formation for Maturing Adults" by Dr. Richard Johnson
- "Faith Formation across the Generations" by Mariette Martineau
Download Volume 1.1